Did you know that there are actually over 700 plants that can be poisonous or toxic to your pet? That size of a number seems almost incomprehensible and makes you wonder if there are actually any plants left over that are NOT poisonous to animals! There are a quite a lot left over that is okay for your pets.
We cannot possibly begin to cover every single poisonous plant in existence, and it should also be said that some plants are much more toxic than others are. It is important to use your best judgment when determining whether or not these plants should remain in your home or garden. Consider your personal situation and the normal behavior of your pets. If you keep any poisonous plants in areas that cannot be accessed by your pet, or if you have a pet that has never bothered with getting into your plants in the past, then it is likely you shouldn't have a problem with keeping particular species of plants in a home with pets.
Symptoms of poisoning will range from seizures and foaming at the mouth to vomiting and coma. Please seek immediate medical attention as soon as you see your cat has eaten a toxic substance. Don't wait for symptoms to appear. Take the cat to your local Vet. We also recommend you take part of the toxic plant with you to the Vet for easy identification to help with treatment.
You can see an extensive list of plants that have been frequently encountered as being dangerous to cats at the ASPCA website. This is a guide to what plants and flowers to keep your eyes open for.
We will be going through the more common plants to keep an eye out for over the next several weeks.