You can avoid this by placing a prominent sign in the window. The sign should indicate the type and number of pets you have. When Removing pets from burning buildings, you should transport them to a veterinary hospital as quickly as possible. Do not place your own life at risk by attempting to rescue a pet from a burning building.
If possible, have firefighters or medical personnel at the site of the fire administer oxygen to pets suffering from smoke inhalation injury for 10 to 15 minutes prior to transport. Administering oxygen as soon as possible reduces the amount of carbon monoxide poisoning and may stabilize pets that are at risk of dying prior to reaching the hospital.
Smoke inhalation injury is direct damage to the airways and lung tissue caused by exposure to heat, particulate matter in smoke and the gaseous by-products of fire.
Causes of Smoke Inhalation Injury could be Thermal Injury to the upper airways (Breathing in hot air), Suffocation due to the fire reducing the oxygen content in the air that is breathed, Chemical Injury such as inhalation of carbon monoxide, cyanide, hydrogen chloride ect.
Signs to watch for:
Increased Respiratory Rate
Irritation of the Eyes
Discharge from Eyes & Nose
Respiratory or cardiac arrest
If you suspect your cat of Smoke Inhalation, we highly recommend you take your cat to your veterinarian immediately for a checkup.